Senior Carbon Reduction Manager
Senior Carbon Reduction Manager
Locations: Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham
Salary: £33,940 - £37,334
Closing date: 24/11/2020
Your new role
It’s an exciting time to join Highways England as we prepare for various key priorities and deliverables during the 2nd Road Investment Strategy Period (RIS 2). HE is also looking at setting ambitious targets to a net zero approach by 2050.
As the Senior Carbon Reduction Manager based within our Estates & Facilities Management division, you will be responsible for leading on the development and management of a programme of work which will contribute to the delivery of a carbon reduction key performance indicator in the RIS 2 period and will include working with the team to develop and deliver the delivery Carbon Management Implementation Plan to achieve this KPI.
The Energy and Sustainability Team is responsible for the procurement and management of energy for the estate and the network, procurement and management and of water on our estate. We also lead on setting and delivering HE’s sustainability agenda for its operations.
What you’ll be leading on
- Implementation of the carbon management strategy implementation plan to address energy use and improvement, resource conservation, transport and travel, engagement, building design and operation and revised ways of working to help meet our targets,
- Working with a variety of internal and external stakeholders, to develop and deliver the forward programme of carbon reduction measures, agreeing their contributions to the Company Carbon KPI objectives and monitoring that these are being delivered,
- Undertake energy audits and develop recommendation reports,
- Develop and implement a range of energy and carbon management projects, preparing business cases to secure internal and external funding, managing specific energy efficiency work programmes and preparing risk assessments,
- Providing technical advice on energy policies, standards and operating procedures to support Highways England’s strategic and shorter-term objectives including our contribution to the corporate carbon KPI, the Government targets around Greening Government Commitment and Ultra Low Emission Vehicles.
To be successful
- Degree or equivalent in a relevant environmental subject/relevant formal training, plus substantial relevant experience.
- Proven experience in energy and carbon management, undertaking energy audits and drafting reports with recommendations for improvements.
- Significant knowledge of energy generation and distribution, particularly renewable energy. Experience of development and delivery of decarbonisation policies and programmes,
- Proven experience of managing stakeholder relationships to shape / influence policy to deliver organisational objectives and meet the needs of customers and stakeholders,
- Experience of project management, delivering successful projects and programmes,
- Experience of researching, analysing, interpreting, and presenting energy management information using spreadsheet/graphs and explain complex information in a way that is relevant and easily understood,
- Confident and proactive attitude with the ability to be open minded to new and innovative ways of working.
A bit about us
There’s never been a better time to join our Finance & Business Services (FBS) team.
Our directorate is responsible for managing the company's £4 billion a year finances, overall governance, assurance and risk management, managing the company's large and dispersed estate, processing damages claims and the operation of the Dart Charge facility. A lot of what we do is like oil in the organisational machinery. We make the business work more smoothly and we help everyone to do their jobs better. Our vision is to work through partnership and collaboration to secure great resource outcomes for the company and amplify what we achieve with it.
Want to know more?
For a copy of the role profile please email firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference HIG04243
Interviews are scheduled for late November/early December.
Why you should join us
At Highways England, safety is our number one priority. It is one of our core values, as well as a behaviour we expect from our people.
Our vision is that everyone who uses our roads, as well as those who work for us, get home, safe and well. Our Home Safe and Well approach sets out our commitments and how our employees can contribute.
Working for us, you’ll recognise the behaviours required to achieve our vision, and help create a fair and just culture for us all. You should be able to fully understand the hazards and risks that are involved in your work, and follow our procedures safely.
We want you to feel able to raise health, safety and wellbeing concerns with your colleagues, and to challenge unsafe conditions or behaviours wherever you see them. We’re always seeking to improve our performance, and want you to be at the heart of that - helping us all get home safe and well.
And finally, we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.