Network Rail is at the heart of revitalising Britain’s railway. From Crossrail – Europe’s largest civil engineering project – to investment in world-class stations and major programmes of electrification, we're involved in some of the most ambitious and state of the art ventures that this country has ever seen.
For this Contracts Manager, what we here at Network Rail call a Material Support Manager, this opportunity sits in Supply Chain Operations, a newly formed division of Route Services that procures safe, sustainable, products and services that are in turn used to improve and enhance the rail infrastructure across Britain.
Our aim is to deliver excellent value and service to our customers, helping the rail industry to work together to deliver a more cost effective railway.
Our extensive supply chain network plays a crucial role in helping to run a safe and efficient railway.
Every year we:
- Buy and deliver 2,000km of rail and 2.5 million tonnes of ballast.
- Operate 1,200 rail vehicles.
Behind the scenes we:
- Process £7,000,000,000 of payments.
- Handle over 23,000 IT helpdesk calls.
- Make sure everyone’s wages are paid on time.
- Mechanical and electrical locking fitters maintain 468 signal boxes and 387 ground frames.
- Operational property helpdesk process over 200,000 calls.
Offer strategic support and guidance to achieve the most cost effective and industry standard compliant delivery of operations. Cascade supply chain information throughout the field at a high level.
What will you be doing?
- Influencing the SCO materials team in the development, improvement and augmentation of the supply chain process related to materials through delivering structured feedback and active participation in individual and team improvement initiatives.
- Develop and build rapport with a defined group of customers, the central Network Rail team and other stakeholders to influence future business strategies.
- Own the provision, communication and continuous improvement of regular supply chain safety, risk, and financial management information and material.
- Analyse data to identify trends and subsequently recommend and improve in collaboration with your customers.
- Identify requirements to support and guide others on physical and systemic processes to drive improvements in best working practices, including areas such as repairs, relay re-servicing, and return of inventory.
- Implement year-on-year reductions in customer financial liability through developing inventory control initiatives and strategies to optimise material inventory levels.
- Support the safe delivery, storage and utilisation of materials through offering expert guidance, role modelling health and safety behaviours, fully adopting our Life Saving Rules and Close Call mechanism.
- Line manage attributed Field Support Operatives, including staff engagement, development and competence management
- Offer reactive and proactive support to customer emergency material requests.
Job Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- Ability to lead a team and motivate others.
- Extensive knowledge of the supply chain and the relevant supply contracts.
- Excellent numerical and analytical skills.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Great communication skills.
- A customer and team focused approach.
- Experience with Oracle based IT systems would be a nice thing to have but is not essential.
To apply, please click on the apply button to visit our website.
Closing date: 9 February 2018.
Network Rail welcomes applications regardless of age, disability, marital status (including civil partnerships), pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, transgender status, sex (or gender), employment status, trade union affiliation, or other irrelevant factor. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria. We are two ticks accredited and we continue to strive to create a workforce as diverse as the communities we serve.